Twine is an excellent tool for creating branching narratives. These narratives can be as simple as choice-based narratives a la Choose Your Own Adventure books or deep interactive media-based experiences.
This comprehensive tutorial series aims to teach you Twine from the ground up. The series assumes you have no Twine experience or even coding experience. Follow along at your leisure.
All these tutorials are intended to be free without ads. If you enjoy them and/or want to support these tutorials, you’re welcome to buy me a coffee! 🙂
Note: While you can jump around, the tutorials are meant to be followed in sequential order.
- Creating a Basic Inventory
- Branching Your Narrative in Code
- Getting Loopy with Loops
- Defining In-Game Objects
- Creating Advanced Inventory
Building Out the Story
- Adding an NPC
- Picking up Items
- Randomizing Locations
- Moving the Villian
- Winning and Losing
- Adding Images
- Incorporating Music and Sound Effects
- Changing the Story Appearance
- Saving and Loading the Story
- Understanding Twine Documentation